You can install MySQL on Windows by downloading an MSI Installer package and following a few steps after that. MySQL is a part of a typical Linux server build (or LAMP stack) but is also available for use on Windows operating systems.
Depending on your requirements, you can develop your database in MySQL. Many CMS such as WordPress use MySQL by default.
There are mainly 2 types of web servers- Windows and Linux. If you are hosting your site or web application on windows web server, then you might be using Microsoft’s database server product, MSSQL.
But it has its own disadvantages such as:
Therefore, if you require a powerful database solution at a much lower cost, you can go for MySQL database (free, open-source database server).
You can also run MySQL and MSSQL on the same server at the same time, so you’re free to use both or test which one is better for you.
You can download MySQL Installer from dev.mysql.com. You can choose from 2 options- web-community version and a full version.
The full MySQL installer will download the server along with all the recommended applications whereas web-community downloads only server by default. You have to select other applications of your choice with web community version.
1. Go to the link- dev.mysql.com
2. Choose from the web-community version and a full version.
3. The next step is to create an Oracle web account. You can also skip this step, if you don’t want to create an account.
4. If you want to skip this step, then scroll down to the bottom and click “No thanks, just start my download”.
5. Double click the installed file to run it from its location on your server.
6. You can use this same MSI Installer to update or upgrade your current MySQL versions.
7. After Windows configures MySQL Installer, a welcome screen will appear.
8. You will be given 3 options to choose from. Select the first option: Install MySQL Products.
9. After that installer checks if there are new versions of products you are about to install or already installed are available.
10. Click the Next button to continue
11. Choosing a Setup Type: There are 5 types of setup types available.
12. Go for the Full option to install all MySQL products and features.
13. The next step involves Checking of requirements.
14. Installation Progress: After checking the requirements, MySQL Installer downloads all selected products.
Note:- It will take a while, depending on which products you selected and the speed of your internet connection.
15. After completion of installation, click the Next button to continue.
16. Configuration Overview. Tap Next button to configure MySQL Database Server
17. MySQL Server Configuration: Select Config Type and MySQL port (3006 by default. Tap Next button to continue.
18. MySQL Server Configuration: Select a password for the root account. If you want to add more MySQL users, do it in this step.
19. You can assign a role to the user that consists of a set of privileges. Click the Next button to continue.
20. Select Windows service details such as Windows Service Name and account type. Tap Next button to continue.
21. After this, MySQL Installer will configure MySQL database server.
22. Wait until it is done and click the Next button to continue. MySQL Installer installs sample databases and sample models.
23. Installation Completes: Click the Finish button to close the installation wizard and launch the MySQL Workbench.
Note:- Make sure you install MySQL as a Service so that Windows can automatically start the service after a reboot or restart the service if it fails.
You can also open a chat with us and we’ll be happy to answer any questions you may have!
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *